A two in one program where you will get hands on experience to work with chimpanzees at Ngamba Island and in their natural habitats in western Uganda.The thrill of learning about them, other wildlife, neighboring communities is an experience that lasts a life time!
- Chimpanzee Behaviour Enrichment
- Daily caregiver schedule
- Infrastructure Improvements
- Community Visits
- Wildlife reserves and Leisure in Bunyoro Region
- Wild primate populations and habitat monitoring
- Culture and Conservation for Sustainability
- Environmental Education ,awareness and community livelihood programs
Volunteer Work and Contribution
During your time volunteering, you will participate in a variety of tasks, all vital to the continuation and sustainability of the Chimpanzee Trust. There are five main areas that you will have the opportunity to become involved with:
- Behavioral Observation: Volunteers will work alongside caregiver at the sanctuary, studying how chimpanzee groups differ in their social dynamics. The study aims to be able to classify standard chimpanzee behavior by assessing these social dynamics amongst chimpanzee groups through food distribution and video data collection.
- Behavioral Enrichment: Volunteers will be involved in creating permanent or temporary behavioral enrichment structures (such as tire swings and shaking boxes) as well as organize temporary challenges in order to further the behavioral enrichment of the chimps.
- Infrastructure Improvements: Volunteers will help with whatever current enrichment projects are taking place during their placement and may include tasks such as building picnic sites and shaded viewing shelters, or putting up information boards to educate visitors.
- Daily caregiver schedule: Preparation of chimp foods, clean chimp holding facility, takes chimp records and Health monitoring.
- Wild primate populations and habitat monitoring (3 Days)
Tree planting for habitat restoration, Itoya forests walk, Nest counting, Mammal surveys, Tropical tree identification and counting. Birding, Human wildlife interactions, other wildlife including butterflies, insects, bush babies etc. Forest Mapping, Forest surveys
- Culture and Conservation for Sustainability (3 days)
Bunyoro – Kitara Palace, Mparo (Burial grounds for the Famous Bunyoro Kitara Empire), Kitara rural hospitality,Music and Dance,Traditional artisans and Indigenous Story telling
- Environmental Education ,awareness and community livelihood programs (3days)
Kyamaleera Wildlife Education Centre, Working in support of local schools, Participating in schools’ environmental activities (debates, drama, music, film shows, Home stay programs (spending a night with a rural household),Participating in livelihoods initiatives (mushroom growing, hand crafts, bee keeping, fruit growing, rural farming)
- Wildlife reserves and Leisure in Bunyoro Region (2 day)
Salt mining (indigenous salt mining in Bunyoro culture, hiking on the escarpment of the Albertine Rift ), Kabwooya Wildlife reserve (Excursion), Budongo or Bugoma Forest Reserve ( Excursion) and Scenery viewing and Cave excursion
Every day is different as animals rarely operate to our schedule – we ask that you remain flexible. Your work day will begin each day at 6am and work through to 9pm inclusive of breaks at Ngamba Island well as in Hoima it varies, six days a week. You will have a rest day each week. Please note that this should not be considered a ‘hands-on’ project. For your protection, the protection of the chimpanzees, and in order to adhere to sanctuary guidelines, ‘hands on’ contact may be limited and dependent on the prevailing circumstances at the sanctuary.
Group size: 5 people
US dollars $2500 per person in a group
Entebbe international Airport, Entebbe, Uganda.
Animal welfare (Food preparation, Hand raising, feeding chimps, and behavioral enrichment activities with chimps), general maintenance and environmental education.
Age: 18- 69 years
Accommodation: volunteers will be provided with basic, clean, and comfortable resource center rooms. The accommodations include a bed (with bedding), Toilets and hot showers (Outside of the rooms). One towels will provided and therefore volunteers will be required to bring their own. A cleaning service is provided daily and electricity is available. Small safes are available in the rooms to lock up valuables, but volunteers must bring with them their own padlock to secure it.
Food: volunteers will be provided with three meals a day. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner is a cooked meal served in the dining area is a help-yourself arrangement.
Internet: Available on a shared computer and wireless.
Laundry: A service is available for a small fee, otherwise hand washing is possible.
The following information explains our cancellation policy for the participation fee, based on the number of days before your program arrival date:
- 61+ days: 80% of participation fee refunded excluding the deposit
- 60-31 days: 50% of participation fee refunded excluding the deposit
- 0-30 days: 0% of the participation fee refunded excluding the deposit
The reason for the reducing scale of refunds is to allow us to refer committed volunteers and in the event that you do cancel, we have to find suitable replacement volunteer to carry out your placement, and the less time before the placement is due to start, the more expense and difficulty we will have in recruiting this person. Please note that in cases where you have already changed the start date of your placement, cancellation fees will be determined based on the original start date of your placement. Read more
- Accommodation: Resource center at Ngamba Island and Budget Twin rooms at field project in Hoima.(refer to website).
- Food: 3meals a day (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner).
- Airport Transfers: Included on arrival and departure day as a group.
- Transport: Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary, Hoima and around the different areas in the field
- English speaking driver/guide
- Bottled mineral water
- Entrance fees
- Activities and excursions mentioned in the program
- International flight
- Visa (USD $100)
- Meals and drinks not mentioned above
- Items of personal nature
- Other Tips